All you need is a deck of playing cards and beer. Create four stacks of five cards face-down in a zig-zag formation, like this:
:: :: :: ::
Thus the name.
Then deal three cards face-up to each player, these cards are their personal indicator cards. Time to begin. With the remaining deck the dealer fills the empty spaces (the numbered spaces) one at a time with single, face-up cards:
:: 2 :: 4 1 :: 3 ::
After each card is turned each player checks his indicator cards for a match. If a match is found that player is obliged to call out. If a match has been called, the dealer flips over the top card on the adjacent stack. The number of the flipped card is the number of drinks to be taken. If more than one player has a match then they each drink the number of the flip card - in other words, no sharing or splitting of the drinks is allowed. If no one has a match the dealer fills the next space and so on. Space #4 is played twice then direction is reversed: 1, 2, 3, 4, 4, 3, 2, 1, 1, 2, 3, 4, 4, 3, 2, etc. until the deck is exhausted.
Some things to watch out for:
- If a player does not call a match and the next card is placed thus skipping his obligation, any observant player can call his mistake forcing him to drink double the amount of the card that should have been flipped.
- If the dealer forgets where the next card is supposed to go he must drink a penalty drink.
- If a player has a pair in his indicator
cards he must drink double the amount of the flip card.
Jacks = 1, Queens = 2, Kings = 3, Aces = 4.
- If over three players use two decks and stacks of eight instead of five but still three indicators.
- Warning! Average number of games before you're trashed: 2.