A mindless game that actually requires a certain amount of coordination. Supplies: people and beer (as usual), a quarter (hence the name), and a shallow juice-type glass. Or, for a real challenge, and a longer game, use a shot glass with a reasonably wide rim.
All players sit around a table, or similarly hard surface, and, in turn, try to bounce the quarter off the table into the juice glass. If successful, the player tells any other player to have a drink, as well as receiving another turn. If the player fails, play passes to the next in the circle.
If the player is fortunate enough to make three bounces in a row, this player may make a rule. Anything goes. Some favorites are:
- "Can't say drink, drank, or drunk."
- "Can't point with your fingers."
- "No proper names."
- "Have a drink before each attempted bounce."
- "Every time Joe drinks, Jane drinks too."
if any rule is broken during the course of play, the violator subsequently "consumes some beverage."
Early days variations:
- The glass that you bounce into also contains the beer to drink. The trick is to then drink the beer without swallowing the quarter.
- If the player bounces and hits the rim of the glass, without the quarter going in, s/he receives another free attempt.
- If the player misses, and feels confident enough, s/he may "chance" for another attempt. If the player makes the chance attempt, things proceed as if it were a normal turn. However, if the chance attempt fails, that player must drink the beer.
- Following a failed "chance" attempt, the player may wish to attempt a "kill." if the attempt is successful, play continues as normal, but if the attempt fails, the player must drink a full glass/can/bottle of beer non-stop.